Friday, August 14, 2009

Come Learn With Us - Reflections from a Summer Student

How I spent my summer vacation….Well, it’s almost over and what do I have to show for it? Thanks to PODetc much newly gained knowledge. I always look for a way to make learning fun and meaningful to my kindergarten through 5th grade students. Computer games are not used in my labs. In order to learn computer skills and to become life-long learners of technology, the students are required to complete projects which display these learned skills. For example, using MS Word to create a tri-fold state travel brochure in the 4th grade displays the ability to perform research, typing skills, word art, text formatting and other skills. The 4th graders then take the population of each state and create an Excel graph comparing the populations of each state.

I was somewhat familiar with the concept of Web 2.0 apps, but had never really had hands on experience. PODetc not only introduced me to many new resources for teaching and learning, but these courses also involved me in these resources. I had the opportunity to communicate with several of my classmates using SKYPE. Using http://21cif.com/rkit/timed_sc1.html in class helped me to understand how the students make mistakes during the search process and which mistake they make. More importantly, it gave me ideas for designing new lessons to teach the students more efficient ways to use the Internet to search for information.

Knowledge gained from my PODetc classes will also benefit the district in which I work. I have suggested to the administration that the use of SKYPE will increase the level of collaboration within grade levels between the three elementary schools in the district. Since two of these schools will be merging in about three years, these teachers, and students, will have the opportunity to get to know each other using this app.

The first day of school is in two weeks. I’m sharpening my pencils and aligning my objectives to the NETS standards. Thanks PODetc. I’m looking toward taking more classes this coming fall and using the skills I have learned.


Bonnie is an active learner and has taken several courses with PODetc since our inception. These courses include Introduction to Instructional Technology, Survey of Emerging Technologies, and Technology Literacy 102: Building Knowledge Management Systems. Thank you, Bonne, for your review!

No comments:

Post a Comment