Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Texting for teaching?

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100426/NEWS/100429736

In several of our course discussion forums through PODetc lately, educators have been discussing what do to about texting! I have some associates who text their students on a regular basis but I have not yet tried to incorporate the practice as opposed to fighting its use. The above article is one example of a teacher using it to teach poetry with a measurable improvement in test scores. So what are some ways we could use it? Here are my thoughts:
For the group of students in my advisory -
  • texting reminders of meetings, important events
  • sending important updates on grades (not sure about privacy here)
For my classes -
  • homework reminders - but it is already posted on a webpage so this might be too much
  • word of the day
  • puzzle of the day
  • identify an interesting picture (if all phones receive images) - for science
  • "chat" about a particular science topic
  • identify main idea from a passage
These are a few thoughts but I have done nothing in terms of actually considering implementation. Send me some of your ideas on how you could use texting in your educational practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment